Thoughts from former K-12 Administrator
by Dr. Christina M. Macalino, August 2021
If you haven’t read blog #12 or listened to episode 12, please do so to learn about Part I: Administrator Turnover or Burnout? Or Burnover? But for this particular blog and episode 14, you will learn about a professor’s perspective on K12 administrator turnout/burnout/burnover.
Introducing Dr. Whitnee Garrett-Walker (aka Dr. GW)
Dr. Whitnee Garrett-Walker – former Skyline admin colleague, doctorate homie, life-long learner, reflective educator, professor. Dr. GW did not always plan to be a k12 school administrator for she loved and embraced being a teacher and instructional coach. Dr. GW enjoyed the craft of unit planning, the lesson plan execution, the daily discourse with students, and collaborating with fellow teacher colleagues in providing equitable opportunities for student success. However, there was this one principal who recognized her strengths and leadership qualities who pushed her to cross the bridge from teacher to administrator.
Here is a quick snapshot of Dr. GW’s career journey:
- Total number of years in education: 12 years
- Teacher experience: 5 years
- TOSA (teacher on special assignment) experience: 3 years
- K12 site administrator experience: 4 years
- Degrees: Masters in Teaching from Saint Mary’s College of California & Doctorate in International and Multicultural Education from University of San Francisco
- Current position: Assistant Professor of Educational Leadership, Policy and Social Diversity at University of Toronto, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education
Take a listen to Episode 14 to hear more about Dr. GW’s educational and career journey. Pour yourself a glass of wine as you listen to Dr. GW’s mic-dropping educational data, research, and gems in this 60-minute conversation with Dr. C, Dr. Mac, and Dr. GW.
Podcasts related to post:
- Empowered Conversations with Elin & Christina, Episode 14: Administrator Turnover or Burnout? Or Burnover? Thoughts From a Former K12 Administrator
- Empowered Conversations with Elin & Christina, Episode 12: Administrator Turnover or Burnout? Or Burnover?